Sunday, February 5, 2012

Greetings

I always really enjoyed cooking.  The kitchen was always a central part of home and family gatherings.  And somewhere along the way a busy work schedule, a long commute, and taking care of kids made for one tired Mom.  You know, the usual tale of the Suburban Working Mom.  Energy is low and you just want to rest so you call out for delivery or throw a frozen pizza in the oven... or ask your husband to cook knowing his response will be "we'll go out for dinner tonight".

Nearly two years ago I decided that I needed to get back to feeding my spirit and to look, in earnest, for a local community.  I consider myself Pagan and an Eclectic Witch and I was, after all, living in Suburbia surrounded by Christians.  While my neighbors are pleasant enough, I just never felt like I fit in.  I didn't bring up my beliefs for a long time.  They know now that I am Pagan.  What they think that means I'm not sure.  They've never asked questions.  But I was lacking that sense of community that makes you feel like you are not alone, provides support and encouragement.  I stumbled upon a shop in Fairfax called Sticks & Stones through several other groups I was aware of (The Northern Virginia Pagan Network and Goddess School).  I began attending workshops and open circles and quickly made friends with like minded folks.  I spent several weeks learning about herbs and their magical uses and attended a workshop on kitchen witchery.  Most things you find on the subject are for home remedies for minor medical issues, herbal teas, and beauty products.

Recently, my family's finances took at huge hit and it left me with a severely restricted budget.  With the cost of groceries skyrocketing, I am figuring out how to get the most for my money when it comes to feeding my family.  For now this means planning our meals and shopping around what is on sale at the grocery store and clipping coupons.  It also means that I'm forced back in to the kitchen whether I like it or not!  Turns out I do still love to create in the kitchen.  And I got to thinking that, with all my new found knowledge of herbs, I can create magical meals.  And why not share them!  So here I am with a new blog.  A cooking blog to keep me inspired both in a culinary manner as well as magically.

I am by no means a chef.  Outside of home economics class in high school and a one-day Thai cooking class while vacationing at a resort in Thailand, I have no training.  Like many people, I love to eat and am addicted to watching cooking shows!  I just happen to be a witch too.  So why not build meals with a purpose? 

Recipes coming real soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment